How To Open Account With Zerodha?
You can open a Demat/Trading/Commodity account in Zerodha by two possible ways-
- On-line Process
- Off-line Process
The process of opening account through online is as simple as A-B-C. All Retail Individuals who have active Aadhaar linked mobile number or email id for one-time password verification can open account through the online portal.
Here's a step by step guide on how to open an Online account with Zerodha -
Click on the link https://zerodha.com/open-account.
- Enter your Name, Mobile and Email
- Enter your PAN number and DOB
- In the next step, you have to select your account preferences, equity, commodity or both. Click on Pay & Continue. You can make the payment via multiple modes such as internet banking, debit, credit cards etc
- Enter your Aadhar number and OTP will be sent to Aadhaar linked mobile number to fetch data from UIDAI database, with customer’s consent.
- In the next step, you have to upload the bank proof, either your bank statement or a cheque. In case you want to trade in F&O upload income proof
- Click on E-Sign, Digio Screen will pop up for E-Signing.create an account using your Google account or your email.
- Click on sign and input your OTP which will be sent to you on your mobile.
- The last step, you should allow usage of the webcam to click a picture of the valid photo for real-time IPV.
That's is it. The account will now be opened and you will be able to see the client ID on the top of the screen.
If you don't have Aadhar or Aadhaar linked mobile number or email id for one-time password verification then you have to open the account through Off-line Process.
- Click on the link https://zerodha.com/open-account.
- Enter your Name, Mobile and Email.
- Zerodha salesperson will contact by phone or through the mail for assisting further processes.
- Take application form printout and need to courier the forms to Zerodha branch office (Banglore) or can drop forms at nearer Zerodha branch/Partner office.
Here are some frequently asked questions.
Is an IPV required if a person is KYC compliant?
If a person has an account with a different broker or if he has invested in mutual funds he will already be KYC compliant, so an IPV is not required.
What if there is a name mismatch between the PAN and Aadhaar of a KYC compliant person?
Whenever a person is signing using Aadhaar, an Aadhaar KYC will also be done in the background. So Zerodha will be able to see the photo of the person who is signing which can be compared with the KYC photo. This will ensure that a mismatch doesn’t happen.
Can a joint demat account be opened if both the holders/signatories are KYC verified?
At present any account that will have two signatories even if they are Aadhar verified cannot open an account using Aadhaar signatures.They will have to follow the offline account opening process.
Can an NRIs open an accounts using Aadhar?
No, they cannot. They will have to follow the offline process i.e PIS.
Can an existing client with an equity account open a commodity account using Aadhaar and vice versa?
Yes, they can*
What if a client has already paid the account opening fee?
He will have to pay the fee once again and he will get a refund once the account is opened.
If the client ID is generated instantly, from when will a client be able to trade?
He can start trading in 6-8 hours.